Regiment:                  Queen’s Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry  

Rank & Number:        
Private, 2956 & 95665  

02 July 1897; Seaview, Fairlie  

27 September 1977; Perth, Australia  

Brother of John Malcolm Clark Crawford

was born 02 Jul 1897 at Seaview, Fairlie, to parents David, a coal merchant, and Flora Clark (who married in Largs on 19 Dec 1894).  He died, aged 80, of a heart attack during minor surgery on 27 Sep 1977 in Perth, Australia.  His ashes, along with those of his wife Janet who died a year later, are scattered in the Rose Garden at Karrakatta Cemetery in Western Australia.  

On 19 Dec 1924 at St. Columba’s Church, Largs, Hugh (aged 27, coal merchant of Seaview, Fairlie) married Jane D. Houghton (aged 24, tablemaid).  They had one child, Allan Houghton Crawford, who joined the navy in WW2, met his future wife when his ship docked in Fremantle, and asked to remain in Australia, where they were eventually married.  On 15 Jun 1951, Hugh and wife Janet emigrated to Australia to join their son (passenger list shows Hugh, aged 53, driver, Winton Place, Fairlie).  

In the 1901 Census, Hugh, aged 3, is living Sea View, Fairlie with parents David (40, coal merchant, b. Fairlie) and Flora (29, b. West Kilbride) and siblings Isabella A (5, b. Fairlie) and John MC (1, b. Fairlie)  

In the 1911 Census, aged 13, he is living Seaview, Bay Street, Fairlie with father David (50, coal merchant) and siblings Isabella A (15) and David A (2).  Mother Flora (39, b. West Kilbride, m 17 yrs, 4 children) is a patient in an institution in Cathcart, Glasgow (possibly Victoria Infirmary).    

In June 1915, enlisted in the Queen’s Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry.  In Sep 1916 the Largs & Millport Weekly News printed a poem he’d sent home to his parents from Egypt.  According to his family, he served in Egypt for three years, working with horses in the desert, and he had scars on his legs from saving a man from being trampled by a horse.  His medal index card shows he received the British War and Victory medals.

Extracts from the Largs & Millport Weekly News:-  

12 June 1915             
Arthur Crawford and Hugh Crawford joined the Glasgow Yeomanry Queen’s Own this week.  There are very few eligible young men left in the village.  

23 September 1916   

The Song Of The Camel:  This poem was composed by an R.S.F. officer in Egypt after the fight at Dem-a-dur in April, and was sent home to his parents by Trooper Hugh Crawford, Fairlie

   Hugh Crawford (back left) in Egypt

Hugh Crawford (2nd left) in Egypt

Christmas card sent from Egypt by Hugh Crawford,
Christmas 1918

Pictures courtesy Danielle Crawford

Back to list of soldiers names


Fairlie Community Association SCIO
Scottish Charity No. SC028785